top of page

Getting Married Abroad? You Will Need to Swear a Statutory Declaration

07944 377029 | 02922 648003

Swearing of Statutory Declaration

A Statutory Declaration is often required when you are getting married abroad.

What Is A Statutory Declaration?

This is a document signed, sworn and witnessed with a Solicitor local to you. By swearing the Statutory Declaration you are confirming that the contents are true and correct. Do not sign it if this is not the case. To do so would be committing perjury.

You will need to be present at the swearing and you must take current, original forms of identification, such as your passport or driving licence (photo card) and two original forms of address ID. For example, recent, original bank statement or utility bill. A face to face meeting will be required with your chosen Solicitor. You should let them know your religious beliefs in advance so they can have a Bible or Quran to hand. You need to place your hand on the Bible or Quran and say a few words.

There is a standard fee payable for the swearing of any Statutory Declaration. This is around £10 to £20 at most. The Law Society requires that Solicitors charge a minimal fee for this service. The fee has been the same for the last 20 years regardless of inflation.

Once sworn and witnessed by your Solicitor the document can be relied upon in court or legal proceedings. However, If your forms require a Notary Public or Commissioner of Oaths then a Solicitor cannot assist you. A Notary Public and a Commissioner of Oaths are a different type of legal professional and these may be required in some instances.

If you are based in South Wales and need help with a Statutory Declaration, oath or swearing, then please get in touch. I will be happy to help you.


I act for anyone Buying, Selling or Remortgaging In England or Wales.


• Residential Property Solicitor of some 23 years

• SRA Law Society Regulated

• Conveyancing Quality Scheme Accredited

• Help to Buy Accredited

• Highly Recommended - Trustpilot &


• Transfer of Equity (names changed on deeds/mortgage)

• Equity Release  also known as Lifetime Mortgages

• Bridging Finance

• Auction Property purchases

• Trust Deeds & Declaration of Trusts

• ID1 Forms (HMLR)

• Statutory Declarations & Oaths

• Independent Legal Advice

• Shared Ownership or Shared Equity



bottom of page