top of page

ID Checks & Form ID1 in Conveyancing

As part of the Conveyancing process you must be identity checked. This is to comply with government legislation and Conveyancers have no choice. Your ID may have already been seen by your estate agent or mortgage broker. Unfortunately, they rarely pass this onto your Conveyancer. If is frustrating but it is what it is.

Is it NOT simply a case of flashing ID or photocop it for your Conveyancer.


This is an essential part of your Conveyancing and you cannot exchange or complete Original current ID along with recent Proof of Address must be shown. You must attend in person with your originals and you must be seen to match the ID. Do not present your partner's ID without them being present.

Acceptable ID Includes:

• Passport (valid and original)

• Photo-card driving licence (valid and original)

• Original, current council tax bill

• Current, original car / home insurance certificate

• Recent (< 3 months old) original Utility Bill

• Recent (< 3 months old) original Bank Statement


Electronic checks will be run by the Conveyancer via their online provider. A weblink is emailed or texted to you and you must follow the process uploading ID and taking a photo. The service compares your passport and driving licence details against national databases and checks registration on the electoral roll to ensure you are who you say you are and everything matches.


Satisfactory ID documents consist of a current valid original passport or photo card driving license along with two forms of recent original address ID.

To validate your address, you must have received the proof of address documents via Royal Mail. For example, this could be a recent utility bill, insurance, bank statement or pension letter. This corroborates that you are who you say you are and reside at your address.

Conveyancers tend not to be local to their clients and it is unlikely they know them personally. Even if a client were known to us we are required to obtain ID by the regulations AND we must regularly update it in case our files are audited. No offence is meant by this. Our hands are tied.


Property crime and identity fraud are rife. To combat this the government enforces strict regulations requiring Conveyancers to check client ID, source of funds and source of wealth. This means not just where monies are held but how they accrued. There are very serious consequences for your Conveyancer, and the law firm, for non-compliance. No lawfirm can waive this because it inconveniences you. It is irrelevant that you did this with your mortgage broker or estate agent as they do not pass this on.

Blame the criminals - not your Conveyancer!

ID1 Form

This is required by the Land Registry when an application includes the signature of a party who had no legal representation. For example, when parties separate and one comes off the mortgage and deeds.

This is again to ensure there is no property fraud or ID fraud.

You will need a passport photo, your original ID and proof of address documents and to see a solicitor, in person, to verify and sign the ID1 Form for you. They will raise a fee for their time.

If you are based in South Wales and need help with a form ID1 please in touch.

Contact details:

02922 648003 | 07944 377029

Find HM Land Registry's ID1 form here.,,

ID checks


Acting for anyone Buying, Selling or Remortgaging In England or  Wales

I am a:

• Solicitor of 23+ years

• SRA & CQS Regulated

• Help to Buy Accredited

• Award winning blogger

• Recommended - Trustpilot &

Instruct me for your:

• Transfer of names on deeds & mortgage

• Equity Release  & Lifetime Mortgages

• Bridging Finance

• Auction Property

• Leasehold matter

• Freehold matter

• Trust Deeds & Declaration of Trusts

• ID1 Forms (HMLR)

• Statutory Declarations

• Independent Legal Advice

• Shared Ownership or Shared Equity

Request a Quote:

Service Reviews:



bottom of page